The Spring online waiver period is 01/07/20 – 02/07/20
The Summer online waiver period is 05/05/20 – 06/05/20
The Summer II online waiver period is 06/11/20 – 07/10/20
To satisfy the University of Houston System (UHS) policy on maintaining acceptable health insurance coverage, each semester all Language and Culture Center (LCC) students in F and J statuses will be automatically enrolled in and charged for the UHS Student Health Insurance Plan.
I want to decline (waive) the Student Health Insurance Plan. What should I do?
You must request a waiver below by Friday, February 7, 2020. See Waiver Request Guide for instructions.
If you hold an F visa, click here to request a waiver
If you hold a J visa, click here to request a waiver
How will I qualify for a waiver?
You must meet all conditions below:
- You must have coverage through a government- or U.S. employer-sponsored group health insurance plan. Alternatively, your government sponsor has to provide a letter, such as Financial Guarantee, guaranteeing payment for all health care expenses.
- You must request a waiver of enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan and submit proof of acceptable alternate health insurance coverage by the waiver deadline.
- Your alternate health insurance plan must meet or exceed all requirements below:
- Medical care benefits equivalent to the UHS-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan with no annual limits.
- Your plan contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
- Your plan provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) at https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/essential-health-benefits.
- Your plan covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA at https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/preventive-care-benefits.
- Your plan imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits.
- Medical evacuation coverage amount is no less than $50,000. Repatriation coverage amount is no less than $25,000.
- If you hold an F-1 visa, your plan must also meet the following minimum requirements:
- Your plan imposes a deductible that does not exceed $1,500 per accident or illness.
- If you hold a J-1 visa, your plan must also meet the following minimum requirements:
- Your plan imposes a deductible that does not exceed $500 per accident or illness.
- Your plan’s coverage period meets or exceeds the Student Health Insurance Plan’s coverage period listed at https://lcc.myahpcare.com/enrollment.