To satisfy the University of Houston (UH) policy on maintaining acceptable health insurance coverage, each term all non-immigrant international students in the Language and Culture Center (LCC) will be automatically enrolled in and charged for AcademicBlue, the Student Health Insurance Plan for UH students.
If you are a non-immigrant international student, the charge for AcademicBlue will be included in your tuition and fees. Do not purchase individual plans, travel plans, or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement. They will not be accepted for waiver approval.
May I decline AcademicBlue?
It depends. To decline AcademicBlue, you must meet all conditions below:
1. You must have coverage through a government- or U.S. employer-sponsored group health insurance plan. Alternatively, your government sponsor has to provide a letter, such as Financial Guarantee, guaranteeing payment for all health care expenses.
2. You must request a waiver of enrollment in AcademicBlue and submit proof of acceptable alternate health insurance coverage by the waiver deadline.
3. Your alternate health insurance plan must meet or exceed all requirements below:
a. Your plan contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
b. Your plan provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) at https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/essential-health-benefits.
c. Your plan covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA at https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/preventive-care-benefits.
d. Your plan imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits.
e. Medical evacuation coverage amount is no less than $50,000. Repatriation coverage amount is no less than $25,000.
4. If you hold an F-1 visa, your plan must also meet the following minimum requirements:
a. Your plan imposes a deductible that does not exceed $1,000 per accident or illness.
b. Your plan provides medical benefits with no annual limits.
5. If you hold a J-1 visa, your plan must also meet the following minimum requirements:
a. Your plan imposes a deductible that does not exceed $500 per accident or illness.
b. Your plan provides medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness.
6. Your plan’s coverage period meets or exceeds the AcademicBlue’s coverage period listed at https://lcc.myahpcare.com/enrollment.
How may I request a waiver?
To request a waiver, you must register online for the LCC. After completing online registration, please wait for 3 business days before requesting a waiver. Make sure you have all documents below ready:
1. Your alternate health insurance ID card indicating that you are a covered member.
2. Complete policy of your plan, including coverage amounts, exclusions, and limitations, in English using U.S. dollars. Alternatively, submit a government-issued letter, such as Financial Guarantee, guaranteeing payment of all health care expenses.
3. Medical evacuation and repatriation coverage, if any.
If you hold an F-1 visa, click here to request a waiver
If you hold a J-1 visa, click here to request a waiver
If you hold another type of visa, click here to request a waiver
Contact the LCC Counseling Team at LCCDSO@uh.edu or 713-743-3030 if you have questions about how to request a waiver. Contact AHP at firstname.lastname@example.org or 855-824-9683 if you have questions about the waiver request you submitted.