If you do not want the Student Health Insurance Plan, you must decline or opt-out of coverage by submitting a waiver. You may only opt-out of coverage during the following Waiver Periods:
Fall Semester: 09/01/2021 - 10/02/2021
Spring Semester: 01/05/2022 - 02/04/2022
Summer Semester: 05/04/2022 - 06/03/2022
Summer II Semester: 06/10/2022 - 07/08/2022
To satisfy the University of Houston System (UHS) policy on maintaining acceptable health insurance coverage, each semester all Language and Culture Center (LCC) students in F and J visa statuses will be automatically enrolled in and charged for the UHS Student Health Insurance Plan.
I want to decline (waive) the Student Health Insurance Plan. What should I do?
Fall 2021 - You must request a waiver below by Saturday, October 2, 2021. See Waiver Request Guide for instructions.
How will I qualify for a waiver?
You must meet all conditions below:
- You must have coverage through a government- or U.S. employer-sponsored group health insurance plan. Alternatively, your government sponsor has to provide a letter, such as Financial Guarantee, guaranteeing payment for all health care expenses.
- You must request a waiver of enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan and submit proof of acceptable alternate health insurance coverage by the waiver deadline.
- Your alternate health insurance plan must meet or exceed all requirements below:
- Medical care benefits equivalent to the UHS-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan with no annual limits.
- Your plan contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
- Your plan provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) at https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/essential-health-benefits.
- Your plan covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA at https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/preventive-care-benefits.
- Your plan imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits.
- Medical evacuation coverage amount is no less than $50,000. Repatriation coverage amount is no less than $25,000.
- If you hold an F-1 visa, your plan must also meet the following minimum requirements:
- Your plan imposes a deductible that does not exceed $1,500 per accident or illness.
- If you hold a J-1 visa, your plan must also meet the following minimum requirements:
- Your plan imposes a deductible that does not exceed $500 per accident or illness.
- Your plan’s coverage period meets or exceeds the Student Health Insurance Plan’s coverage period listed at https://lcc.myahpcare.com/enrollment.
By clicking the “Click Here to Waive” link below, you confirm:
- That you have read and understand the University of Houston System Policy concerning F and J Visa International Health Insurance Requirements.
- That you compiled ALL documentation required to be uploaded and that you understand your waiver will be automatically denied if all required documentation is not uploaded with your submission.
- That you have read and understand the Waiver Submission Minimum Requirements Checklist and that your waiver will be denied if your alternate health insurance plan does not meet the minimum requirements.
Once you login, select the WAIVE button under the “I Already Have Insurance.” Section.
Please see the ‘AHP Waiver System – Student Training’ link below for a video tutorial on how to use the Waiver System.
Please contact Academic HealthPlans at help.ahpcare.com if you have questions.