I want to decline (waive) the Student Health Insurance Plan. What should I do?
You must request a waiver below by Friday, February 8, 2019. See Waiver Request Guide for instructions.
If you hold an F visa, click here to request a waiver
If you hold a J visa, click here to request a waiver
How will I qualify for a waiver?
You must meet all conditions below:
1. You must have coverage through a government- or U.S. employer-sponsored group health insurance plan. Alternatively, your government sponsor has to provide a letter, such as Financial Guarantee, guaranteeing payment for all health care expenses.
2. You must request a waiver of enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan and submit proof of acceptable alternate health insurance coverage by the waiver deadline.
3. Your alternate health insurance plan must meet or exceed all requirements below:
a. Medical care benefits equivalent to the UHS-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan with no annual limits.
b. Your plan contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
c. Your plan provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) at https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/essential-health-benefits.
d. Your plan covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA at https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/preventive-care-benefits.
e. Your plan imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits.
f. Medical evacuation coverage amount is no less than $50,000. Repatriation coverage amount is no less than $25,000.
4. If you hold an F-1 visa, your plan must also meet the following minimum requirements:
a. Your plan imposes a deductible that does not exceed $1,500 per accident or illness.
5. If you hold a J-1 visa, your plan must also meet the following minimum requirements:
a. Your plan imposes a deductible that does not exceed $500 per accident or illness.
6. Your plan’s coverage period meets or exceeds the Student Health Insurance Plan’s coverage period listed at https://lcc.myahpcare.com/enrollment.